#VanWiFi is now one of the largest free public Wi-Fi networks in all of North America. The City of Vancouver and Shaw Communications Inc. recently paired up to expand the network even further to over 600 Wi-Fi locations. Roughly 550 of the locations are already active, with the rest activating over the next months. Bandwidth speed will be around 10 Mbps, with no limits on data consumption.
"Shaw's expansion of #VanWiFi is a huge win for our residents and businesses, covering more than 500 locations in the downtown core and surrounding areas. People are more digitally connected than ever and good public Wi-Fi access enables locals and visitors to more easily connect and interact online and supports Vancouver's tourism and economic success. This massive digital infrastructure expansion also bolsters Vancouver's status as a leading Smart City, said Vancouver Mayor, Gregor Robertson.
Some of the locations include:
- Broadway (Oak to Cambie)
- Commercial Drive (Venables to 1st Ave)
- Davie Street (Jervis to Burrard)
- Denman Street (from Davie to W. Georgia)
- Downtown Eastside
- Granville Street (from Drake to Cordova)
- Main Street (Broadway to E. 16th Ave)
- Robson Street (from Denman to Burrard)
- 125 Mobi by Shaw Go bike station locations
"Like our partners at the City of Vancouver, we understand how important it is to have access to a broadly available Wi-Fi network in the places we frequent the most. This vast expansion of the #VanWiFi public network will give residents and visitors to Vancouver easy connectivity in the busiest locations across the city, whenever they want and need it for free," said Jim Little, Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing and Culture Officer, Shaw Communications.
To connect to VanWiFi:
- Select the VanWiFi network name from your device's Wi-Fi settings menu
- Open your browser and you will be automatically re-directed to the Wi-Fi terms and conditions page. Read and then click the button to accept the terms and conditions.
- You will be re-directed to the VanWiFi home page (vanwifi.vancouver.ca) and are then connected to the internet.
About Shaw Communications Inc.: "Since connecting its first cable customer in 1971, the Shaw family of companies has grown to become Western Canada’s leading network and content experience company, delivering the highest quality consumer, business and content product offerings." - Shaw
About City of Vancouver: "With its scenic views, mild climate, and friendly people, Vancouver is known around the world as both a popular tourist attraction and one of the best places to live. Vancouver is also one of the most ethnically and linguistically diverse cities in Canada with 52 percent of the population speaking a first language other than English. Vancouver has hosted many international conferences and events, including the 2010 Winter Olympics and 2010 Winter Paralympics." - COV